Monday, September 23, 2019

Bike Bags 2 - Review of Ruster AHH

I decided I wanted a different case after twice using the Pica Packworks EEP to transport my 48 cm Cervelo P2C with 650 cc wheels.  You can read my case review and experiences with it and a hard-sided case here: Bike Bags 1 - Overview and Pica EEP review.  Admittedly, I'd purchased the EEP on the recommendation of a friend, without doing my own homework.  I wanted to do better for its replacement.

Top left - Sub 62.  Top right - EEP.  
Bottom - Armored Hen House wheel & frame bags.
Two things stood out about the Ruster Armored Hen House.  First the high density polyethylene "armoring" sounded more protective than a purely soft-sided case.  Secondly, the bag was advertised as being,
"the only bicycle travel case to meet the airlines standard of 62 linear inches to avoid excess and oversize baggage fees, which means you can save thousands of dollars simply by traveling with your bicycle in the Hen House" (ref).

Here's the truth, though.  If one measures only the length of the case that touches the ground (~30” if you omit the wheels), and the height (24”) and width (8”), one might conclude this was not an oversized bag (>62 linear inches).  While I’m happy to take advantage of that math, it’s disingenuous at best.  Contrast: Orucase Sub 62, to be covered in a future review.
Frame bag plus wheel bag

Ruster Armored Hen House (AHH)
This 700 cc wheel shows the bag is a bit shorter
Ruster measures bag length from pivot point
(obscured by bike wheel) to edge of bag.
Price then: >$500
Price now: $579

Pluses: Each bag is smaller and easier to handle, wheels on frame bag facilitate dragging it, wheel bag is not oversized, frame bag might slip through as not oversized, both are lined with high density polyethylene which adds some puncture resistance

Minuses: Frame shifts inside bag, chainring pokes bag, extra bike disassembly required

Packing specifics: More cumbersome than other bags I've used: 
  • Take pedals off 
  • Remove seat post
  • Remove wheels
  • Remove front brake, or cable from front brake
  • Remove handlebars / stem from steer tube
  • Remove fork, taking care to not lose or disorder the stem spacers, headset bearings / washers / etc
  • Lay frame flat on a sheet
  • Remove derailleur, place in provided pouch
  • Apply drop out and fork cross bracing (both supplied with the bags)
  • Wrap frame in pipe insulation (some supplied, additional purchased separately) 
  • Use supplied velcro straps to secure the handlebars, fork, seat post, and pipe insulation to the frame, and secure the derailleur bag
  • Open up the bags' peripheral padding and insert padded / bound frame & handlebars into case (top tube toward the bottom)
  • Tuck the peripheral padding in, fasten velcro, and zip the case closed 
  • Fasten straps and cinch down
  • Slide wheels into wheel bag & fasten pouch straps
  • Place wheel skewers into pocket, pedals might fit here too
  • Zip wheel bag closed, fasten straps and cinch down
  • = Everything in two cases
Cardboard spoke cover, this
one for the cassette side
of the rear wheel.
Random info: After having my 650cc Zipp 404 spoke broken in the Pica EEP on my trip home from Calgary I decided to fashion some wheel covers out of cardboard.  I'm sure I don't really need to use them with the AHH given the armoring supplied by the high density polyethylene inserts.  But I do so anyway.  And Ruster recomends it with disc wheels.

My experience(s): I've used the Hen House 3 times.
2016 - domestic on Southwest (PHL to SFO) with my Cannondale Slice (48 cm).  I had my helmet in with the bike, and shoes, bottles, tools, wetsuit in with the wheels.  No charge (2 bags fly free), though I worried about it asairlines seemed to be cracking down on this at the time and the frame bag is factually in excess of 62 inches.  These cases arrived with regular sized luggage in baggage claim and fit easily into cars.  I traveled with my clothes in a back pack, which I carried onto the plane with me.  I carried the wheel bag with the supplied shoulder strap (worn diagonally across my chest) and I pulled / rolled the frame case behind me.  Bulky, but easier for me to manage than the Pica EEP.

A rear skewer and fork brace come
with the AHH, but my painter threw the
fork brace out so I've made a substitute 
from a piece of quarter round (gets held
in place with painters tape.)
A padded derailleur bag and several
velcro straps come with the AHH, as
well as two segments of pipe insulation.
(I use a minimum of 9 pieces though.)
I've added foam padding over the
hubs to help protect the wheel bag. 
Large plastic bags keep it all tidy.

The wheel bag has a padded divider that's 
velcro'd to the case bottom, a zipping
pouch for skewers, as well as
extra space that accommodates items 
like shoes, water bottles, etc.
This case has flown twice.  Even with the AHH's 
protective HDPE sheets, the wheel hubs still lead
to bag wear (seen above the business card).
This is why I've added the foam
padding to the cardboard.
The peripheral padding is attached only at the  
bottom of the case, and doesn't stay in place  
around my frame very well.
2018 - domestic on Southwest (PHL to Ontario via Las Vegas).  I was asked in Philly if it was a bike.  I replied it was exercise equipment for my hip as I'd had surgery, which was a handy version of the truth as my hip was bothering me at the time.  No charge, but I am not comfortable with the experience of carefully explaining myself while verbally tip toeing around the B word.

The much thinner padding in the AHH (red) 
contains a layer of high density poly ethylene, 
which would provide nice protection if 
weren't flexible enough to slip out of 
position.  I find the thicker padding of the 
EEP (grey) stays in place better.
2019 - domestic BikeFlights transport via FedEx (outbound) and UPS (inbound).  This was the wrapped frame and fork only, sent off for re-painting.  No issues, but it's clear the bag is very much larger than it needs to be to transport my small bike.   

Final opinion: I'm unhappy my frame shifts within the bag, and that the peripheral padded HDPE strip doesn't stay put over my chainring.  Unless one or the other situation is avoided, I'm afraid the bag is going to get torn or worse, my skinny chain and seat stays get damaged.  Additionally, as I ride a tiny bike and this was before some airlines began revamping their bike policies, I was interested in finding a case that would legitimately fall within the dimensions for standard baggage. Bonus points if it could be carried like a backpack.
Unlike with the EEP, the frame goes top tube down and crank up in the AHH.
Overall, this is another case that is quite a bit larger than my frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment