Sunday, June 23, 2013

Race Report - Bucks Co Trail Marathon 2012


This one is something of a pre-amble to The Pain Files.  Training for the Bucks County Marathon was repeat notification that something wasn't right with how I was feeling, but I just ignored the signs.  As for a Race Report - the Bucks County Trail Marathon has been held the same day as the Philadelphia Marathon and is a much-less crowded and nice alternative to that event (mostly-even and firm crushed cinder surface, virtually no hills execpt to go under road passings).  This year (being 2012) they took a couple of late additions, to accommodate displaced runners from the cancelled New York Marathon (cancelled due to hurricane Sandy).  I think my only complaint from the race was that the aid stations where I asked for Gu didn't have any, and they didn't know which table/aid stop did.  I somehow missed it on the outbound and inbound passes.  I should have known better than to rely on race-provided nutrition anyway.  No one seems to get this right (in my opinion) outside of Ironman.  Oh, and I left the FB comments in since I think they help provide a little more context.

Experiments in Marathon Training

by Sue (Notes) on Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 7:30pm
6 Marathons and the training leading up to them.

1. Philadelphia, Nov 2004, 5:20:43.
  • Signed up with Team in Training (Leukemia and Lymphoma Society), so had “coaching”.
  • Memory says training was 3-6 mi 4-5 x/week, plus 1 long run on w/e, 9 min pace group.
  • Got stress fracture on 11 mi run with the group (turned out to be my longest training run prior to race day).
  • Continued cardio and strength training via pool running and in-line skating.
  • Race day plan – quit at the half and consider my obligation met.
  • Race day – Intervals of 3 min 15 sec run and walking (I have no idea how I settled on this interval…).  Felt good so went past the half point, and finished event.

2. Philadelphia, Nov 2008, 5:35:29 (as Chris Roberts). 
  • According to my notes, I did not train for this.
  • I did not sign up for this, and the event was sold out.
  • My dad bought a bib from another competitor, so I figured I’d quit after doing the half.
  • I’m sure I did intervals.  Maybe as above, or maybe shortened a bit (guessing 3 min run/walk).

3. Fargo, May 2010, 5:38:10.
  • Following Beginnertriathlete.com training plan for iron distance triathlon.
  • Training at that point was 30-120 min, 3 x/week, at a pace of 12 min/mi.
  • Longest run before race was 10 miles.
  • Race day – Intervals of 3 min run, 1 min walk.  Went out much to fast (2:26:21 first half), and had the most miserable/painful finish experience to date.

(IMLP), July 2010, 6:33:43.
  • By this point training was 30-180 min, 3 x/week, at a pace of 12 min/mi if I could hold it.
  • Longest training run was 16 mi.
  • I think I tried the same run/walk intervals as for Fargo, but they got heavily goofed up by the aid stations, which I walked regardless of which interval I was on.
  • Time includes misdirection and discussion with time keeper to please not disqualify me after accidentally crossing finish line after 13 mi.

4. Chicago, Oct 2010, 5:16:49.
  • Entertained following a Pfitz training program supplied by my dad, but I felt it had way too many detailed numbers (exact calculations for paces under all training conditions) and ultimately found it to confusing.
  • Training was actually 41-180 min, ~3 x/week.
  • Longest run was 14.6 mi.
  • Suspect I did intervals, probably the same as in Fargo.

5. Berlin, Sept 2011, 5:04:06.
  • Following Beginnertriathlete.com training plan for half iron distance triathlon, substituting swimming with in-line skating.
  • Running was 30-120 min 3 x/week, with pace 9:15 to 12:30 min/mi.
  • Longest run was 10.5 mi.
  • Day before race, 26.2 mi in-line skate, 2:08:11.
  • Race day – Intervals of 2 min run / 1 min walk (except aid stations, which I walked no matter what, or if I didn’t hear the timer go off).

(IMWI), Sept 2012, 5:01:54.
  • Following Beginnertriathlete.com training plan for iron distance triathlon.
  • Training was 20-180 min, 3 x/week, 10 min/mi pace.
  • Longest training run was 18 mi.
  • Race day – run continuously, except for aid stations where I grab food/fluids, or steep up-grades.  First time without using set intervals.

6. Bucks Co, Nov 2012, 4:49:35.
  • Following Smartcoachplus (found on Runnersworld.com), which customizes a plan based on your inputs of:
    • recent race time (I picked a recent 15 k time trial training run),
    • weeks before event (I had 9, but program spat out 10 weeks so I started at week 2),
    • how many days per week you wanted to run (I picked 3),
    • how aggressively you wanted to train (I picked moderate out of maintenance, moderate, hard, very hard)
  • Training was 2-5 mi easy run, 4-6 mi tempo run, 5-18 long run per week. 
  • This was my first:
    • running tempo at a specific pace.
    • marathon run with a specific goal pace that I wasn’t sure I could maintain.
    • marathon where I didn’t plan to use walking intervals.
  •   Race day:
        I was in the 4:30 corral, and given my training pace for Wisconsin and some of my runs for this marathon (~10), it seemed a reasonable finishing window would be between that and 4:22.  However, that finish would have likely left me wondering whether I could have done better by pushing the pace the training plan called for (9:14) for a predicted finish of 4:02:16. 
        I managed to hold that pace for 11.5-12 mi, but it took constant focus.  I found some great rabbits to follow which is probably why I made it so far.  But I could not hold on; I finished the first half in 2:03:14 (9:22 min/mi).
        The second half was exactly as miserable as I thought it would be, and I watched my hard-fought first-half average pace slip.  It should have stopped getting worse as it approached the new slower pace I was running, except I guess I was continuously slowing down.  At mi 20 (3:20:17 which is darn close to 10 min/mi), things got ugly.  It became obvious I wouldn’t make a 4:30 finish, and in addition to being very uncomfortable, I was becoming demoralized.  How could just running a marathon feel worse than doing an ironman triathlon????  I started walking, then would spot a tree and tell myself - I could only feel pathetic until I got to it, then I had to start running again.  I’m not proud to say I teared up approaching the finish line, when I saw exactly how bad my finishing time was going to be, and I was sobbing by the time I got through the finishing shoot.  This was not the finish I trained for.

  • Ashley - As I learned at Poconos, even a totally hideous PR is still a PR even though you trained for and were so much more capable of something FAR better. I'm sorry this happened.
    November 18, 2012 at 7:35pm via mobile
  • Marianne - I'll still say congrats in the PR. I'll also remind you of the problems you had leading up to this race. Now, I've read a lot on racing, etc. and have repeatedly seen 'A' races vs 'B' races. I know you know what I'm talking about. Sue, you had your'A' race this year. I think you've done very well considering! You now have a new time to beat.
    November 18, 2012 at 7:38pm via mobile
  • Sue - It seems I vastly prefer under training and being surprised/pleased with the outcome, vs applying myself and having expectations not be met.
    November 18, 2012 at 7:45pm
  • Marianne - I thought you did apply yourself to the IM training plan?
    November 18, 2012 at 7:46pm via mobile
  • Sue - Yes, yes I did. But my ironman expectations were based on my actual swim/bike/run times, vs this race where I trusted that if I did the training the plan said, at the pace it said, that I could do the race in the time frame it said. Left to my own devices, *I* would have thought 10 min/mi was reasonable, since that's more reflective of my actual long run pace.
    November 18, 2012 at 7:49pm
  • Sue - I did have one small win. I made it through the event w/o needing a bathroom. But it saddens me to think that had I stopped twice, like I did in Madison, I may not have PR'd, but only matched a marathon time that was earned after biking 112 mi. Not a reasonable outcome, in my mind.
    November 18, 2012 at 7:51pm
  • Marianne - So, what you are actually saying is that is not the application of a plan that you should bail on, but the assumption that the plan an 'tell' you what your supposed to get. (Rather than running the best you can on the given day, supported by a solid training base). I still congratulate you on a PR! Perhaps you should aim for a spring marathon.
    November 18, 2012 at 7:52pm via mobile
  • Marianne - You had leg pain for weeks leading up to this race.
    November 18, 2012 at 7:53pm via mobile
  • Penny - I congratulate you on a PR! It will feel better in a few days. I do really understand what you are feeling about the training plans. I paid for a plan last summer that was supposed to help me finish a 1/2 in under 2 hours. I really worked at it...but came in at 2:04. I realized early on that it wasn't going to happen and I was really disappointed at first. But just kept running for the PR.
    November 18, 2012 at 7:54pm
  • Sue - Thanks Marianne, I think you've got it. Live to run another day. Yes, I did want to be super human and have no ill-effects from the leg pain. Believe it or not, I don't think it bothered me today. But it probably played a role in my training for sure.
    November 18, 2012 at 7:54pm
  • Marianne - The good news is that you have time to become superhuman! 
    November 18, 2012 at 7:55pm via mobile
  • Penny -  I have only done 1 triathlon...so I know that I don't know anything about doing an Ironman. But I noticed that my run pace was the same during the tri 5K as it is during a regular 5K. Which made no sense to me. And that's very cool about not stopping!
    November 18, 2012 at 7:56pm
  • Sue - Thanks Penny. I think everyone has a sport they are strong at. You might be a stronger runner at the moment than swimming and biking, so can pull off the same pace. I'm better at cycling so suspect my cycling time is the same in a triathlon vs not. But definitely not my running time!
    November 18, 2012 at 7:58pm
  • Penny - I think that you can get to the 4:30. You have had a lot of other things to juggle at the same time this fall (leg pain, other sports). I think that it is awesome that you beat 5 hours!
    November 18, 2012 at 8:00pm

No comments:

Post a Comment